The Mindful Way Through Depression Program
This 8-week class is based on Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction program, developed by Jon Kabat- Zinn, Ph.D. with additional elements of cognitive-behavioral techniques. The goal of this training is to build emotional resilience around the destructive thinking that triggers depressive episodes.
By participating in this class, students may expect to:
- Begin to more clearly identify the patterns of mind that precede a depressive episode and to learn how to intervene.
- Develop an understanding of negative thinking while practicing self-compassion and self-soothing.
- Create a greater capacity to tolerate painful emotions, allowing distressing moods, thoughts and sensations to come and go without battling with them.
- Discover that difficult and unwanted thoughts and feelings can be held in awareness and seen from a different perspective-a perspective that brings with it a sense of warmth and compassion to difficulties.
- Learn to live more often in the present, to be in touch with the experience of being alive.