MBSR Teacher Training
El Camino Hospital Mindfulness Stress Reduction Program
2500 Grant Road, Mountain View, CA 94039
(650) 940-7000, ext. 8745
PRACTICUM in Mindfulness–Based Stress Reduction
Living Inside Participant–Practitioner Perspectives: A Professional Training Program for those interested in teaching MBSR
MBSR Practicum Description
We are pleased to announce ten–week Practicum Training programs in Mindfulness–Based Stress Reduction. These programs are generally offered three times a year. The trainees meet one Thursday a week (from 1:30–5:00) and later join the regular class as full participant/observers (from 7:00–9:30).
Participants engage in a first–hand experience of MBSR and its methodology. This experiential and interactive program is an opportunity to train intensively in mindfulness meditation as taught in MBSR and explore issues pertaining to its practical applications in a variety of settings. In addition, this program is also designed for medical and mental health professionals as a beginning step in understanding mindfulness meditation and it's complementary relationship to practicing mindful medicine and psychotherapy.
Upcoming Program Dates 2017
- Thursdays, Sept. 14 - Nov. 16, 2017 (1:30 - 9:30 pm). *The last class is on Tuesday, Nov. 21 (2:30 - 8:00). This 65-hour program also includes an all day session on Sunday Nov. 5 (9:30 - 4:30) at El Camino Hospital Mt. View
Note: The Practicum is not meant to be a complete preparation for teaching MBSR. It is certified by the Center for Mindfulness at UMass Medical School as partial fulfillment for MBSR Teacher Certification. To become a credentialed MBSR teacher, please see UMass Medical Center's, Center for Mindfulness website for complete details.
Key Elements of the Practicum Program:
- Weekly meetings prior to the regular class sessions with the instructor and other trainees discussing the class, the range of participant's responses, one's practice, and the contextual background of Mindfulness–Based Stress Reduction.
- Discussion about instructing and guiding others in both formal and informal practices of mindfulness as well as time to lead a meditation to fellow trainee's and receive feedback. Trainee's can also lead a live meditation to the El Camino Hospital drop-in Alumni Group.
- Exploring the in-depth teaching process with fellow professionals in a weekly seminar format.
- Discussion of the professional aspects of this work relevant to the background and career paths of the professional trainees.
A personal mindfulness meditation practice and having attended at least one 5 day or more teacher-led mindfulness silent retreat or equivalent is required.
$1,800 plus $180 administrative fee - Partial scholarships are available for those with financial limitations.
24 CEU hours available for RN's, LVN's, CNA's, and MFT's, and LCSW's.
How to Apply:
Please compose a letter stating why you want to take this program. Include a description of your past mindfulness meditation experience and your CV. Mail this information along with a $50.00 non-refundable application fee to:
Bob Stahl, Ph.D.
119 Marnell Ave.
Santa Cruz, Ca. 95062
Please note that we will be selecting a limited number of candidates on a first come, first serve basis.
Feel free to contact us about the next upcoming program or for any other questions you may have.